Thursday, June 17, 2010

Bonus Blog

I should also report... had a real scary moment today. After I got dropped off from the shuttle bus, it was around a 10 minute walk back to my hostel. I ended up walking too far up the road, missed my turn and all of a sudden I was walking down a busy road with what looked like rundown houses on the side. This is where things start to get scary. Every person who passed me (must have been at least 50 people) kept giving me the stare and hard looks. On almost every occasion, I took a peek over my shoulder and they were looking back at me at the same time. I honestly thought there was a chance I was going to get jumped.

I walked into a small grocery store, asked the only white guy I had seen in the last while there for some directions back to the road I'm supposed to be on, but he gave me the most f'd up directions. This is what he said, "You go down the road (which direction?) and about 3 roads up, you take a left, then you go right, right, then right. That will take you back to Roberts Road.)

Gee, thanks. I ended up walking some more, finding a gas station and asked them to call me a cab. Close call.

5 comments:

  1. Hehehe, if you're staying 15 minutes from Ellis it's quite possible that the road you accidentally landed on was Rocky Street, the dodgiest road in Johannesburg. It's around that hood. Good job it didn't happen at night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, take that back. Wrong side, just saw Roberts. Hmm, are you staying at the hostel with the awesome view of Joies from the lounge?

    ReplyDelete