Thursday, June 24, 2010

Choked from yesterday's debacle but.... (NSFW or kids)

still glad that I'm alive, not robbed, raped, stabbed or shot at.... yet.

Yesterday was probably the worst day on the trip. I arrived at the Durban airport to the gate to catch my flight to Port Elizabeth. I was already on a tight schedule because I was due to land in PE at 2:30pm and catch the crunch tie between England and Slovenia at 4:00pm. I had already made the arrangements to get picked up, dropped off at the airport, and have my bag dropped off at the hostel. Unfortunately for me, none of this happened.

I got to the gate at approximately 12:56pm. There is a bus that takes you all the way out to the plane. The bus doors were OPEN, yet the man standing at the door said I was too late and can't let me go. I objected and said that the bus hasn't left yet and that I must catch this flight. He says sorry I cannot let you do that. He says something to the bus driver, the doors close, and he's off. Knowing how everything here runs on African time (ie. late) and that everything is supposed to happen "just now" (just now is a saying that people use to let you know how long it will take for something to happen. 'Mom will be here just now.' How long that actually means? I've no fuckin' idea) I don't see how it was a problem to let me on the bus. Sadly, I did miss the England game and I'm out $120 plus whatever value you would add to the excitement of being at a World Cup game.

Nevertheless, I'm trying not to let it damper my spirits. I'm in PE now, which is a cool little seaside town. I'm here for a few more days before I catch an epic 2nd round clash between Uruguay and South Korea.

I should talk about the SK/Nigeria game a little bit. In short, that is what the World Cup is all about. Being down in the lower section with the other Koreans made the game that much more exciting for me. Everyone was singing and chanting the whole game, even though most of the crowd was behind Nigeria and people wanted to see an African team progress. I'm going to post some epic videos that I took from that game. I hung around after to have some photo ops with people, which was also real cool. There's also a small chance that I made it onto Korean TV or newspaper (have I been seen in any newspapers, my friends in Korea?) as there were a ton of cameramen and photographers taking shots of us. This then lead to the surprise of the trip. I see a familiar face walk by me. He definitely looked familiar, and I was so sure it was a friend of mine from the hostel in Johannesburg. Low and behold, it turned out to be my friend Cameron Dwyer, who I hung out with some. He came down here on a whim with my two other friends Kevin and Jonathan. So, I ended up going to their hostel and celebrating the big win. I went pretty crazy after the game, running around waving my flag like K'Naan had suggested me to do and was yelling things like "KOREAAAA!!!! AHHHH FUCK YEAH!!!!! I FUCKIN' LOVE YOU SOUTH AFRICAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!"

It was truly the moment of the tournament for me. Hopefully though, this trip has a couple more memories in store.

No comments:

Post a Comment